Wednesday, June 15, 2011

OMG – My Baby Boy is Going to Leave Me

I wasn’t prepared for this.  My son said he wants to stay with his father for the entire summer.  Many single moms like me may have rejoiced with this opportunity. 
Shoot – I barely have time to use the bathroom in peace.  And my son wears out my name like that annoying child on The Family Guy.  Every time I turn around, it’s “Mommy can I…” 
If my son were to stay with his father, I’d have an entire summer with a clean house. 
I wouldn’t have to come home fussing about crap being everywhere it shouldn’t.  I would have quiet.  I’d be able to just do me without thinking of my son’s needs first. 
I wouldn’t have to cook dinner every night.  I could actually watch whatever program I wanted without feuding with him about turning the channel when a commercial came on.
But Lord knows I’d miss that loud-ass kid.  I’d miss him blasting some B-bop on YouTube.  I’d miss him hogging the big couch as he watched Nickelodeon.  I’d even miss him complaining about having to walk the dog that he begged me to adopt. 

I asked him why he wanted to leave, and he said he’d be bored.  With daycare costing a fortune and my son being a mature young man, he’d have to stay home. 

Instead he wants to work at his father’s company washing cars so he could make some extra money. 

How could I say no to him wanting to do something positive for himself?

How could I say no to him wanting to spend time with his father?

I suppose him leaving for the summer would prepare me for the day he actually leaves the nest and goes off to college.

After I sulked for a few minutes, I said into the phone, “But I’ll miss you.”

My son replied in his adolescent voice, “Daddy lives right down the street, and I’ll see you on the weekends, mommy.”

I laughed aloud but then thought, OMG – My baby boy is going to leave me!


No comments:

Post a Comment