Thursday, July 18, 2013

Money Well Spent - Dealing With My Baby-Daddy

Oh, I was heated.  Ticked off.  Pissed.  Ready to cuss my baby-daddy out! But then I realized; I just bought myself a piece of happiness.

So, my baby-daddy told me weeks ago that he wanted to buy a brand new phone for my son because my son lost and broke his other phones.  Yes, plural.  Now, we didn’t buy the boy a phone so he can yap day and night; it was really out of protection for him, and to make us feel a little bit more secure in this crazy world.  I like the fact that I can call our son without yelling his name for everyone to hear in the echo of the night.  I agreed to the purchase because I know my son is a tech-junky like his father, and he promised he’d be more responsible.

A few weeks later, my baby-daddy said that our son needed to earn a brand new state-of-the-art phone and that he’d get him a flip top until he proves himself.  I liked that answer!  (Shoot, I still have a flip top. J  And my son had just lost a bike that I bought him last year because he didn’t listen and failed to lock it up.)

Well, the day of my son's birthday, baby-daddy said he bought our son a phone and I needed to give him $100.  I told him that I’d spent a bunch of money on our son’s birthday and gave him $120 so he could buy these headphones for his X-Box.  However, I had a change of heart and said, ok, but I can’t give it to you all at once.  You can take payments out of the child support.

A couple days after my son’s birthday, my son starts acting like he lost his mind.  Well, he did turn 13, so I know his hormones are in overdrive.  He started talking back like I wasn’t his momma, and that made me want to rise up, but I didn’t.  His grandmother felt my pain because she said she’d noticed the same thing and promised a can of whoop ass when she healed from surgery; though, she wouldn’t spank her grandson, as much as she believes “spare the rod spoil the child”. 

So, I texted baby-daddy and asked for his help in getting our son straight, and he agreed, but the next day, flipped the script and said that I was the cause of our son being so spoiled.  Oh, hell no!  I reminded him that he was the one buying all this stuff.  Now, why does a kid need an X-Box, Play Station, Wii, Gameboy, ipod, etc.  Shoot, when I grew up, we had an Atari and shared it with the entire neighborhood.

No, this man wasn’t blaming me when I was asking for help.

I texted back: Don’t take that money out because you are part of the problem too, and it’s not fair that I’m paying half of your present and all of mine. 

I reminded him that he told me and our child that he wasn’t getting a state-of-the-art phone for his birthday, and that I didn’t find out he bought it until the day of our son's birthday.  I reminded him that he said our son had to earn it.  I copied baby-daddy’s mom because I wanted a witness.  Yes, because it cuts out much BS.

So, fast forward… three weeks later…

Yesterday, baby-daddy threw $100 on the table.  I said, “You’re short.”  He said, “You remember you said…”  I stopped him and said, “Get the hell out” because I didn’t want to act a fool in front of our son.  My head was already spinning because of some other craziness. 

I was heated, ticked off, pissed, but then I started to smile, and I wrote my baby-daddy an email…

“What you have done is just made it harder on yourself because now when you ask me for anything, the answer will always be no. Keep the $100. It was money well spent.”

And I had a happy rest of the day!

:-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment