Monday, February 21, 2011

All is Good in the Hood

Have you ever typed your name at the Google search prompt to see what comes up?  For whatever reason, I decided to search for results of myself.  It brought up the usual: Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, my Seasons Change blog, a few articles I’d written, and then there at the very bottom… Books by Jennifer Lightburn | Angus and Robertson.  At first I wondered if there was indeed another writer named Jennifer Lightburn.  That would be a trip, considering Lightburn is not an ordinary name.  So, I clicked on the link, and my mouth dropped.  “Coming Soon – Seasons Change by Jennifer Lightburn”.  I was completely beside myself.  I yelled after my son to come and take a look, and he, being one not to over-compliment, patted me on the back, and said, “great job, mommy” and walked out of the room.  So, of course I had to call a friend to get proper accolades because seeing my name in Angus and Robertson’s Coming Soon list was HUGE and gave me the encouragement I so desperately needed. 

I’m playing the waiting game now.  I’m waiting for Create Space to fulfill services.  I’ll tell you what, ladies and gentlemen; I encourage everyone to first try and publish through traditional means, where there are editors who guide the editing process.  But if you insist on self-publishing, I suggest setting aside some extra cash to hire an editor.  Writing a book was not difficult at all.  Editing it is another story all together. 

I wanted to be done by the end of 2010.  But this is my first book... at least the first book that I’m getting published.  Seasons Change is my pride and joy.  It’s taken me so long to publish because I want it to be good.  I want it to be more than good.  I want to entertain.  I also want to make a name for myself.  That being said, I just couldn’t approve my interior file.  I submitted more changes, which of course has cost me an arm and a leg, but it was well worth every penny.

So, I talked to my representative at Create Space and was informed that it will be another two weeks for them to fulfill services – make the changes that I requested.  If all goes well, and I approve the interior design, they’ll send me a proof – a copy of my book, which I hope is before March 29, the day I turn 41.  Lord have mercy!!  Anyway, when I approve that, production begins.  And instead of seeing: Coming Soon – Seasons Change by Jennifer Lightburn, my book will be available for purchase. 

I’ll tell you another thing, ladies and gentlemen, I may not be able to stay at home and write books for a living, but I am in a complete state of awe that my dream is actually coming true.  All is good in the hood.






No comments:

Post a Comment