Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mr. King's Memorial Service

I went to a memorial service for Mr. King today.  He was a good friend of my family, a man that was taken so very early.  Much too early.  As early as my mother was taken from me, so I felt the pain of his daughter and his beloved wife.  I felt their pain as if it were my own.  But Mr. King’s service gave me so much hope.  I could only hope that I could touch lives as he’s done.  That I could draw in a crowd of mourners to wish me a fond farewell to my next life.  That people would say such wonderful things about me. 

Mr. King lived a fabulous life; yet, he was a humble man.  He didn’t have this powerful position of employment, and as far as I know he wasn’t affluent, but what he had was way more precious.  He was rich in love.  You felt how much he touched people just by listening to the stories about his life and seeing pictures from the slide projector of all the grand times he shared with friends and family.  My uncle spoke about Mr. King’s witty since of humor.  The pastor spoke about his charitable giving.  He was an usher at church; he was on many boards of his fraternity; he was also a foster parent, loving father and devoted husband.  The pastor called him a soldier, who took the trials of life head on, and now he is at rest with the glory of God.  That gave me a sense of peace.  I’m glad I went to his service today.  I was reminded how short life really is and how I need to utilize my time to the fullest, but at the same time that I’m not in any race to get to a finish line.  I was reminded that I need to enjoy life and that I need to try to be the best person I can be.  I was reminded that I need to respect and cherish each and every day because it's truly a blessing, for we don't know when our last day will be.   


No comments:

Post a Comment