Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mom, you won’t believe this… a kid at school didn’t know who Nelson Mandela was…

Me:        Hey baby, I missed you.

Son:       Why? (Looking at me quizzically.)

Me:        I had a productive day and just looked at the clock and knew you were on the way home.

Son:       Oh, ok.  Come give your baby boy a hug.  (I humbly obliged.)

Mom, you won’t believe this… a kid at school didn’t know who Nelson Mandela was…

Me:        Wow.  Well, was the kid white?

Son:       Yeah.  That would really be shame if he was black.

Me:        Was he in your class?

Son:       Yeah. He was the only kid in class that didn’t know about him.  I don’t know why he asked in science, but, uh, he’s really smart.  One of the smartest kids in the class.  That’s why I was so shocked. 

Me:        What did the teacher say?

Son:       That Nelson Mandela was the Martin Luther King of South Africa.

Me:        Good analogy.

Son:       They both fought for peace and equal rights and they both went to jail for it.  But what I don’t get is how white people can just go and take someone’s land.  Black people lived there and white people just came and took it.

Me:        Not only that, but some of those Africans were brought here to slave for the land that the settlers took from the Indians. 

Son:       Wow.

I don’t know why I automatically assumed that the student was white.  I guess because maybe I know that certain history topics were skipped when I went to school, and that a lot of black history I learned was from my family.

The interesting thing to me is that my son and I both spoke with no malice, no content, just the sad true reality, and then he got the leash to walk his dog.

 

1 comment:

  1. That is why you probably figured the young man is white because we as African Americans either had family members or personally experience some of the raciest things Mandela went through and we all wanted to be treated equal even today 12-13-13. As Amazing as Mandela was and as Amazing as he portrayed himself by his Amazing actions, there is no reason that everyone in the world should not know of him or about him. Mandela set the standard and broke the mold on Peace and forgiveness beside Gandhi. I do not know how many people of today could have done what he did Madiba aka Mandela has taught us all in his living and dying. A lesson the World could learn from. One

    ReplyDelete