Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ever since I can remember...

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always wanted to be a writer.  I used to tell my mom stories that I dreamt the night before, and she gave me the idea to sleep with a pen and notebook on my nightstand.  I wish I kept my journals but ended up tossing them aside, not thinking about how wonderful it would be to take a peak back in time.  Anyway, somewhere along my journey from childhood to adulthood, I put away my childhood dreams and got hooked in the grind of working in corporate America.  Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my job.  I’m fortunate to have a job that I enjoy, but like so many, I’m pinching the heck out of every penny.  Well, one day I was watching an early morning program… could have been Good Morning America, but I can’t say for certain because typically I watch FOX 5.  At any rate, there was this woman who actually baked her way out of foreclosure.  Can you imagine that?  She was NOT going down on the count.  That woman did something that she enjoyed doing and saved her home in the process.  I thought to myself, “Well, I’ll be damn.  What can I do that I enjoy that will put a little change in my pocket?” And that’s when I remembered.  I love to write.  So, I started writing again.  I’ve written for a newspaper and an online publication with topics such as speed dating, DADT, the National Cat Show, Teachers Day… whatever my editor told me to write.  And I have to tell you, I am so tickled when I Google my name and see the fruit of my joyous labor.  After a couple articles I knew; this is my true passion.  I’m just grateful that I realize what I want to do while I still have time to do it.  Some people never find out. 

Sometimes at night, I can hear my mother shouting from heaven, “Jennifer, don’t forget to put your pen and notebook on your nightstand.”  And I whisper back, “I remember mom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment