Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Just feeling like writing something personal – March 30, 2011

My son is pretty smart, but he’s always bringing notes home from school for talking.  So he gets another note from his teacher.  She wrote that my son was being the class clown.  So I scolded him this morning when I signed the note that he had to return to school.  I told him that he’d better keep his mouth shut or else.  (I didn’t say what the “or else” would be, but I had that you're-going-to-get-it attitude in my voice.) 
Then my ten-year-old says to me all serious, “Now mommy, you know that isn’t right.”
I said, “What?”
“You’re telling me to do something that you know is impossible.  You know I can’t keep my mouth shut because I like to talk,” he said, looking at me like I was stupid.
It took everything in me not to bust out laughing, and I replied to him just as serious, “Just do it.”
So, he calls me from his cell phone on his way home from school and says, “I got some good news and bad news.”
I said, “What’s up?”
“I got an A on my history test; I got twenty stars today, but I got a note for talking.”
I shook my head, but I had to consider the A, and I know that twenty stars is considered excellent effort… raising hands and participating.  What could I say but, “Good job man, but tomorrow try not to talk.”
He said he was sorry for talking and he’d do his best. 
What more could I ask for?
But he still had to take his shower at eight instead of nine, so he missed American Idol… the “or else” for talking.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment