Wednesday, August 29, 2012

African vs. African American

I met two African men, and we spoke about the differences of Africans and African Americans, in their perspective.

                Chic thought that “blacks” lacked culture, so I of course, had him define culture.  “Generations of stories, community, language…” he said.  One example I was given was having my shoes upside down on the floor.  “That’s bad luck.”  He went on to say that in Africa the community watches over you.  “Here, you better not tell me about my kid, and you better not say anything to my child either,” Malick mocked.  And of course, I was reminded of all the languages they spoke.
After I turned my shoes over, I begged to differ; though, I understood where they were coming from... especially regarding language.  I couldn’t understand a damn thing they were saying in their language.  But hell, it's not as if enslaved Africans said, "Let's take a cruise to a new land and stop speaking our language."  This was not by choice.  And though to society's discredit, blacks did create their own languages/dialects.  How about jive, Ebonics, pidgins?  ;o)  But seriously, black people established themselves by learning a new language and pulling the American government to mercy.  Therefore, there are a lot of stories.  And community is relevant to the individual.  In this day and age, many people don’t know the name of their neighbors.  In short, black people may have lost a lot of the African culture, but they created their own culture and adapted after revolution.  It’s only been 149 years since the Emancipation Proclamation and 48 years since the Civil Rights Act of 1964.   Still, there are many African Americans that made a significant difference in American society, thereby, establishing African American culture. 

To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment